Public Access Enquiry Form

Before you complete the form:

I appreciate that the details that I’m asking you send me in this form are private and confidential and I will treat them confidentially whether or not I take on your case. The form will go directly to my clerks in chambers who will check there is no conflict of interests before sending it onto me.

PLEASE read all the information on this website before completing this form – the site is designed to help you try and decide whether or not directly instructing a barrister is right for you.

The form asks questions designed to help me understand what help you might need, so I can get an idea of whether or not I might be able to help through public access.

If there is a hearing date coming up soon, or urgent action needs to be taken (for example if you want to appeal, where there are tight deadlines) you should contact St John’s Chambers by telephone making clear that it is urgent. Unless and until I have agreed to take on your case it is your responsibility to make sure you don’t miss any deadlines.

I cannot guarantee to take on a case without seeing the papers, or that I will be available to do urgent work within your timescales – so if in doubt please go and see a solicitor instead.

The form may seem a bit long, but you can complete it in your own time, and it’s a good way of avoiding you having to be quizzed by me or my clerks at length on the phone.

I get a lot of enquiries from people who would like me to help for free, but I do not carry out pro bono (unpaid) work except through a recognised pro bono scheme – so please do not ask. An enquiry does not cost you anything, but you do need to be able to pay for my services if instructed, as I cannot work for free on your case. If you have no funds to pay for legal advice or representation please do not complete this form – sorry to be tough but it will be a waste of your time and mine. I have listed some other sources of support here.

OK. Ready?

  • About you

  • (dd/mm/yyyy)
  • About the other person involved

  • (dd/mm/yyyy)
  • About your children

  • Please enter a number from 0 to 25.
  • Please enter a number from 0 to 25.
  • Please enter a number from 0 to 25.
  • Please enter a number from 0 to 25.
  • A bit more detail

  • I don't usually deal with financial matters, or represent clients who are eligible for legal aid. Parents who are involved in care proceedings are automatically entitled to legal aid. Please select all that apply.
  • Please tell me if the children live with you, with someone else or if their care is shared. Please also tell me if this has changed recently.
  • Please choose the most appropriate option
  • Please choose all that apply
  • Forthcoming hearings?

  • Check the court order telling you the date of the hearing - it will usually give a description and a time estimate.
  • Check your court order if you aren't sure
  • Practical matters

  • I don't hold original documents
  • A court bundle is all the documents in a court case, paginated and sorted into separate sections
  • (tick all the ones you have)
  • I don't need to know whether allegations are true at the moment
  • If you are currently instructing a solicitor I can only advise or represent you if instructed through that solicitor.
  • Please tell me who they are and who they represent (for example your ex or the children)
  • This form will be sent by email to my clerks at St John's Chambers so that they can carry out conflict checks before I see it (in case I have been involved in your case for somebody else). They will then pass the details on to me if there is no conflict. Other barristers in chambers will only see your information if you have said above that you would consider instructing somebody else instead of me. I need to keep hold of your data for six years for my records. Please confirm you are happy for the information in this form to be held by me and used by my clerks to process your enquiry.